(From the Journal of a Russian Officer)
Sevastopol, the first town of Crimea, and the most beautifully situated in all Russia, was not in existence at the conquest of the country in 1783. An insignificant village lay on the right shore of the bay, in the midst of a thick forest; and on this spot Sevastopol was built, which now contains above 20,000 inhabitants, mostly soldiers and sailors. The town is seated on the declivity of a hill, forming a promontory between two bays. The houses are chiefly of one story, white, covered with red tiles, and surrounded with fruit trees. The principal street (the houses of which are two stories) runs along the foot of the hill
Its advantages as a sea port are perhaps unequalled. The roads are formed by a bay about a werst and a half wide, by seven wersts long, and from seven to ten fathoms deep. The anchorage is excellent, and vessels are protected against every wind, except from the west, on entering. From the southern entrance, it comprehends four capacious bays, viz Artillery bay, South bay, Ship's bay and the careening-bay.
Go to the entire article>>>